Everything has a sound, everything has a rhythm. find your sound, your rhythm and go with the flow. Explore the unknown, get lost and take a picture. Head out with a fellow photographer and play a game of photography dare.
Create a playlist. Listen to it while you are out taking pictures.
Make a portrait of someone without them being in the picture.
Hardly any other object has such a dramatic physical and psychological influence on people as the camera. In this respect, it is like a weapon, loaded with the eyes of an invisible audience who will judge the image in one way or another.
Take a photo that follows no composition rules
All this talking about composition and its rules. But where is a rule, there is a way to brake it. Go and do the opposite, see how things fall in place, without thinking what is right.
Our workshop will have a theme, which we will define together at the beginning, and we will explore over three days in Havana. Joerg will tell you everything he knows about photography and telling stories through images. Down to earth and practically oriented, you will be inspired, create and learn.
HAVANA PHOTO WORKSHOP
A mindful approach to photography
The photo workshop will be limited to 7 – 9 participants. The small size of this group will allow Joerg to offer each participant very dedicated photographic instruction and daily photo review sessions as well as a very exciting 3-day visual tour and program in his Havana. The workshop combines lectures on a mindful photographic approach with working in the field, to connect photography and mind, expanding and deepening your vision.
Program & Itinerary
A mindful approach to photography
Our Photo Workshop starts the evening before, with a welcome dinner in a cozy restaurant, to get to know each other and to talk about our plans for the coming days.
- We start with you. The best photographers of people don’t just tell us something about the person in the picture. They also tell us about the person behind the camera – about you.
- Learn to get aware of your creativity.
- Light is not tangible and yet it has a body, a sound. Hear the light. The light takes over telling, but what does it say to you?
- Yes, it has to be measured – that’s easy – but exposure values do not tell you anything about the “psychology of light”. To fully understand this, you have to recognise something much more original than ever.
- How do we bring dynamism to our pictures?
- This day is all about movement and rhythm, to move and to be moved. We visit a dance school and watch the dance lessons.
- Afterwards we explore movements on a natural stage and go to a beach close to Havana and are accompanied by two wonderful dancers to work with us.
There are many ways of portraying a city, regarding it as a metaphor for a country, its state of mind and its destiny. Fascinating and paradoxical, the city once known as the “Paris of the Western Hemisphere” takes center stage. Streets lined with mansions that have fallen prey to the poison ivy of time. Silently, they oppress their long-spanning incertitude, being a witness of the years and the history. All these years, all these stories. We can see people walking down the streets, lost in thought, with faces of everyday’s haze of indifference, while others are immersed in the surrounding setting, barely standing out. Straddling between socialism and capitalism, decay and glamour, riotous colours and melancholy interiors, the city races in many opposite directions due to its arrested development toward an uncertain future.
Participants should be in good health as days in the field can be long and participants should be prepared to be on their feet walking three or four hours at a time, while photographing.
Welcome and Farewell dinner
All local transportation, Taxi, Car, Minibus, Vintage cars
Tuition in the field and individual lessons,
Post Production Process with Lightroom & Photoshop
Small group size.
*Airfare to and from Havana and accommodations
in Havana is not included.
It is your responsibility to get and secure your visa. Visas can be purchased at the airport before departure from your air carrier. Visitors to Cuba must also have proof of valid medical insurance.
Once the trip is confirmed, travel details, suggestions, and tips to help participants travel to Cuba are provided.